PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer Veggie Recipes

Thought I would try using the Blogger app on my phone to update the ol' blog while sitting by the pool :-) Might have to fix a few formatting issues when I get home, but hopefully this will work. {{disclaimer over}}

I want to share a few summer veggie recipes that I have come across, tried, and loved this summer! Nothing's better than a meal with veggies from the garden. Now, we don't have a garden of our own, but I buy farm-fresh produce on occasion and friends and neighbors have been kind enough to share their harvest with us :-) Maybe one day we will have a garden of our own... we were just a little busy for that this year ;-)

Beans in a Blanket
 
 

There's a farmer down the road who Jason does some side work for. He gave us a big grocery bag full of green beans. He recommended that we try them this way: bundled in groups, wrapped in bacon, and broiled. Everything is better with bacon, right? So I tried the recipe and they were AH-MAZING! I would even prefer these over potatoes with a steak... And I LOVE potatoes. Yes, they were that good. :-)

Ingredients:
Fresh green beans
Bacon 
Seasoned salt
Olive oil

1. Wash green beans and snap off ends. Preheat broiler.
2. Toss green beans in a tiny bit of olive oil and some season salt.
3. Bundle 5-6 green beans of like size together. Wrap a piece of bacon around the bundle and place on a broiler pan. 
4. Place under broiler for 20 minutes. Turn about halfway through. 

I have to admit - they weren't the prettiest thing that has ever come out of my oven, but they were yummy!

Boiled Corn
 
Corn on the cob is a delicious summer staple... and I saw a recipe earlier last week that made me think, "Why hadn't I thought of doing this before?" You basically just add a cup of milk, half a stick of butter, and some salt to your boiling water. It gives the corn delicious flavor! Tried it this week... Loved it 

 
Zucchini Crisps
 
The same farmer I mentioned earlier gave us a huge zucchini. I love zucchini... My hubby, on the other hand, only likes it prepared certain ways. A friend shared this recipe on Facebook recently, and I couldn't wait to give it a try. These. Were. DELICIOUS. :-) Hubby even approved ;-)

Fresh zucchini
Olive oil
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
Salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and spray. 
2. Slice zucchini into 1/4" thick slices.
3. Dip slices in olive oil, and then cover them with breading mixture (cheese, breadcrumbs, seasonings). You have to press the breading onto both sides to get them covered well. 
4. Sprinkle any extra breading on top of the zucchini in the pan. Place in oven for 22 mins. No need to flip :-)


These were scrumptious!!! Definitely making them again. Ate so many that I had a tummy ache later that evening, LOL. Try them - you won't be sorry!

What are your favorite summer recipes?  Always looking for new recipes for when I get stuck in a side dish rut. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment