PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 14, 2013

Nursery Notes

Okay. The nesting instinct is starting to kick in.
 
I find myself daydreaming about my little boy's nursery more and more these days.
 
The day that I found out I was having a little boy, I headed straight to Hobby Lobby to pick up some cute blue/boy decorations for our gender reveal party. I came across this framed print and I had to buy it. I love the colors and the country feel to it.
 
 
 
The more I thought about it, the more I loved the idea of using that framed print as my nursery inspiration. I've never been a big fan of the commercialized "bagged" nursery themes, and when a friend of mine was expecting her first baby, her aunt custom-made bedding for her, a window treatment, and diaper bags that fit her color scheme. I love the idea of using a color scheme as a theme rather than a bagged theme. My little man's nursery will be one-of-a-kind! Now I realize that other nurseries may have similar color schemes, but our baby's bedding will be extra special (as the quilt and pillows will be monogramed with his name or initials and birthdate).
 
Here is the color scheme that I derived from the framed picture using Sherwin Williams's paint chip generator:
 
 
Now... I'm not crazy about all of SW's suggestions. I would subtract the plum and peacock colors.
 
For paint, I'm thinking I would like to do the rose beige color from the floor to chair rail, and then the sand color from the chair rail to the ceiling. Maybe use the snowbound color on the chair rail and ceiling.
 
Here are some fabrics from the Joann's Fabrics website that I like:
 
My favorites are probably the blue bird fabric in the upper right, the zig-zag chevron print in the upper left, and the teddy bear print in the lower left. The fabric store we are going to tomorrow may/may not have these prints... but these are the colors/styles that I like. :-)
 
A few other room accessories that I have my eye on:
 
{{This Rug}} on Amazon:
 
 
{{This Bedding Set}} for the twin bed that will be in the nursery - also on Amazon
 
 
I'd like to make this wreath to hang on the door of the nursery:
 
 
 
 
or
 
 
 
 
Love the simplicity of this alphabet plaque, but it's no longer available through Pottery Barn Kids :-(
Might just have to make my own. Canvas + Letter Stencils + Brown Paint?
 
 
 In terms of furniture for the nursery, we are going to use two dressers that were Jason's when he was growing up that are already in the room that will be our nursery. They need a little bit of sprucing up (maybe a coat of paint and some new hardware), but there's no reason to buy brand new when we have something that can already work. One dresser is tall and thin, and the other dresser is wide and comes up to my waist - perfect size for the changing table! 
 
We also have a twin size bed in that room already. At first, I had found a beautiful 4-in-1 crib that was a little bit over my budget for the crib. The more I thought about it, though... the convertible crib converts to a full-size bed eventually. At the present time, we have one twin size bed and two queen size beds in our house that aren't even being used... so why register for a crib that is going to convert to a full-size bed - which will make us have to buy yet another mattress to add to our collection? ... No, thank you. Just not practical. And honestly, I've heard mixed reviews about the convertible cribs.
 
So, I found {{this}} reasonably priced and well-reviewed crib at Target that matches the furniture already in the soon-to-be nursery.
It will work just fine for our needs :-)
I like the idea of having the twin size bed in the nursery. Since I'm going to be home with the baby for his first four months, I don't expect my Hubby to help much at night. He has to get up for work super early in the morning, and I think that it will just work out better if the baby and I sleep in the nursery in the twin bed with the co-sleeper until I start putting him to bed in his crib a few weeks before I go back to work. Plus... if anyone happens to spend the night to give me a good night of sleep *hint hint*, there will be a comfy bed right in the nursery to accommodate our guest. Hey, gotta think of everything ;-)
 
Last night, I spent a good hour measuring furniture and walls in the nursery.
 Our other spare room is actually much bigger and would be more ideal for all the extra furniture, but we want to save that room for the baby when he gets bigger... that way our next little one can go right into the nursery that's already set up. (Plus - the nursery walls will be completely neutral, so if we ever have a girl, it will just be a matter of customizing new bedding in some girly colors.)
 
I came up with this tentative plan for the nursery:
 
 
...And then I found an online app that let me make it prettier for you:
 
 
 
Ahhhhh... much better :-)
 
So there you have it! My current notes on the nursery. All of this is still in my head... but time is ticking away and I can't wait to get started on making it all a reality!
 
I'll be back with an update on nursery fabrics later in the week.
 
Till then... xoxox
  
 Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Love your nursery ideas!! Can't wait to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aghhh! Cant wait to see pictures!!

    ReplyDelete